What is wildlife?
In general, wild animals do not bother us; for the most part, they live outdoors well away from us in parks, wooded areas, and near ponds and rivers. Rural, urban and suburban properties can all become overrun by wildlife. As we have taken over more and more outdoor spaces with our residential and commercial properties, wild animals have had to learn to live with us – a problem for both them and us!
Some of the most common wildlife to find their way to our Cedar Hill, TX & surrounding area properties to forage for food and raise their young include the following:
Is wildlife dangerous?
Wild animals are dangerous; they are not domesticated like our dogs and cats, they don’t know how to coexist with people, and they don’t rely on us to ensure their food, water, and shelter needs are met. Having wildlife living on our properties near our families is dangerous for several reasons, including the fact that they are unpredictable. When cornered or threatened, they will lash out by biting or scratching, putting your family and pets in harm’s way.
Other problems wild animals cause after deciding to move into our yard, gardens, and homes are listed below.
- Wild animals spread bacteria and diseases in their saliva and excrement that can make people quite ill. Raccoons are common vectors of rabies.
- There are snakes in Texas that are venomous, and their bites can cause serious reactions and health concerns.
- Rodents and squirrels will cause a lot of structural damage to our homes and business. They will use their teeth to chew through and damage drywall, insulation, wires, and pipes.
- Birds leave behind large amounts of feces that are corrosive and will cause damage to your roof and home’s exterior.
- Wild animals carry many parasites like fleas and ticks that they will introduce onto our properties. Parasites carry and spread diseases that cause health problems in people.
- When wild animals are in our yards, they will cause expensive and unsightly damage to our lawns, gardens, trees, and other landscaping.
Why do I have a wildlife problem?
Wild animals are on a steady hunt for food and water sources. Our warm Texas weather allows most wild animals to be active year-round and are a constant threat to our homes and businesses.
Once one species of wild animals learns that your property offers them easy access to their basic needs and establishes themselves, it often leads to more wildlife issues. Additional species of wildlife will move onto your property to either hunt the animals currently living on your property or to take advantage of the food, water, and shelter, that the current squatters have already identified.
Where will I find wildlife?
Our properties provide wildlife with many different places to hide and create homes for themselves outside in our yard and inside our homes, garages, and sheds. Where they prefer to live depends on the species.
- Squirrels are most problematic on properties with many trees for them to nest within and to travel across. In our homes, they nest in attics, chimneys, and wall voids.
- Rodents like mice regularly take up residence in our homes to take advantage of the quiet shelter it provides. They nest behind appliances, cabinets, boxes, basements, and attics.
- Snakes are found in areas of dense vegetation, woodpiles, tall grass, and other areas that provide them with cover and access to food sources like birds and rodents. Sometimes they move into our homes as they search for prey or search for a dark, quiet space to hide.
- Birds often use our rooves, attics, garages, and sheds as roosting sites.
- Raccoons will live in hollow trees, under construction debris, within woodpiles, and under things like dumpsters, decks, and sheds. Inside our homes, chimneys, attics, and crawl spaces are often utilized by raccoons as burrowing sites.
How do I get rid of wildlife?
At Proactive Pest Services, we want to help you resolve conflicts you are having with wildlife on your Texas property. We want to work with you to maintain the delicate balance of protecting both wildlife and your property.
To solve your wildlife problems we offer wildlife inspection, exclusion services, clean-up services, and a warranty to ensure that your wildlife problems are solved, and they won’t be able to return.
Our professionals are committed to providing only the most thorough and comprehensive pest services possible to ensure our goal is met – providing families with peace of mind to know that their property is not being threatened by pests. “Protecting What's Important” is our daily mission!
To learn more about our wildlife control services and how we can work together to rid your Cedar Hill area property of nuisance and destructive wild animals, give us a call today.
How can I prevent wildlife in the future?
Take action to prevent problems with wildlife by partnering with the professionals at Proactive Pest Services and implementing our helpful prevention tips.
- Standing water that collects on your property can act as a natural “water bowl” for wild animals. Repair low-lying areas that collect rainwater, store containers upside down that collect water, fix leaky pipes, and unclog gutters.
- Fence in your garden to make it more difficult for hungry wildlife to use it as a food source.
- Always keep locking lids on trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins.
- Keep nesting wild animals like rodents out of your house by repairing cracks, crevices, and holes in your exterior and placing screens on vents and chimneys.
- Trim tree branches back from your roofline.