The Trick To Effective Mouse Control For Cedar Hill Homes
December 15, 2021 - Mice
Nobody ever wants to deal with a mouse problem. The hassle of dealing with mice inside the walls or attic of your home is a daunting task best left to the professionals at ProActive Pest Services. However, there are preventative steps you can take to deter a mice infestation in Cedar Hill from taking over your property. Read on to learn the dangers house mice pose to human health and the most effective ways to deny house mice entry into your Cedar Hill home.
House mice have dusty gray fur and cream-colored bellies. These mice often range between 2 ½ to 3 ¾ inches long and can squeeze through spaces as narrow as the size of a nickel. They have a dependent relationship with humans, as they will use our homes for their basic needs of food, water, and safe, temperature-controlled shelter.
Dangers of a House Mouse Infestation
House mice pose a serious threat to your health. They carry diseases and can contaminate your stored food. Here are a few of the dangers and health risks associated with house mice:
- Mice can spread salmonella through their feces. Humans can develop fever, diarrhea, and abdominal pain from eating salmonella-contaminated food.
- Mice can spread rat-bite fever. By coming in contact with a dead mouse, eating contaminated food, or suffering a mouse bite, you can catch this disease, which causes fever, vomiting, headaches, rashes, and muscle pain.
- Inhaling dust that contains dried mouse feces may cause allergies or asthma flare-ups. Droplets of mouse urine may also cause allergies in children.
- Mice can bring lice, ticks, mites, fleas, and other vermin into your home.
In addition to these health dangers, house mice can cause damage to your home through their gnawing and nest-building. Moreover, mice can chew on the insulation around electrical wires, creating possible fire hazards.
To make matters worse, house mice breed rapidly. A female house mouse can give birth to a half dozen babies every three weeks. If you notice just one little mouse in the corner of your living room, there is a good chance others are hiding nearby.
How Can I Prevent A House Mouse Infestation?
Now that you know how dangerous house mice are, you will want to keep mice out of your Cedar Hill home. Below are effective control measures that will prevent your home from becoming a mouse haven:
- Seal cracks and potential entry points on the exterior of your home with caulk, steel wool, or a combination of both so mice cannot chew their way through.
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens.
- Put screens over vents, chimney openings, and other unsealed openings.
- Keep attics, basements, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Eliminate all pooling moisture, including leaking pipes and clogged drains, as wet areas are breeding grounds for mice.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Get rid of garbage regularly, storing garbage bins away from your house.
- Remove clutter, as mice like to hide in dark places.
Performing the steps above will go far in keeping you from having a mice problem. However, despite your best efforts, sometimes it is just impossible to keep mice out. Here is when you need to call the experts at ProActive Pest Services.
Call The Professionals At ProActive Pest Services To Eliminate Your Problem
If you have done everything possible to prevent house mice from getting into your property but are still faced with signs of an infestation, it's time to get help from ProActive Pest Services and root out the pests from your Cedar Hill home.
With over 25 years in the pest control industry, ProActive Pest Services is committed to keeping your home pest-free, ensuring protection to your property and health. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule an inspection.