Cedar Hill’s Complete Guide To Bed Bug Prevention
November 15, 2021 - Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are parasitic pests that rely on hosts, such as people, for blood meals. As their name suggests, they have a preference for being around beds. This is because they are nocturnal and will feed at night when people are sleeping. Because of this, infestations are not usually caught right away, allowing them to worsen and spread throughout a house.
This pest is one of the most difficult to eliminate because they can go over a year without eating and are masters at hiding. To successfully remove an infestation, you have to treat them at all life stages, so eggs and nymphs aren’t left to mature and reinvest. This is something most at-home do-it-yourselfers (DIYers) aren’t capable of doing, at no fault of their own.
If you believe bed bugs only happen in dirty homes, you are among the majority in this thinking. It is a common misconception that clean homes won’t get bed bugs, and although this may reduce the possibility, it will not keep them away entirely due to the way an infestation happens. This is why all Cedar Hill residents should know how infestations start and how to keep bed bugs away.
Picking Up Bed Bugs
The most common way bed bugs get into a Cedar Hill home is by accidentally being carried in by unsuspecting people. This can happen in several ways:
- On second-hand furniture and appliances
- In luggage and bags after traveling
- On personal items after being on public transportation
- In bags and coats after being in places such as theaters, hospitals, schools, and restaurants
As you can see, bed bugs can easily hitch a ride from heavily trafficked places, but they can also travel through different residences in multi-unit buildings.
Preventative Bed Bug Measures
Making a conscious effort to inspect bed bug hot spots and items is one of the best things you can do to keep this pest from coming home with you. You can do this by:
- Thoroughly inspect and clean any second-hand furniture, clothes, and appliances before bringing them inside.
- Inspect your hotel or motel room before putting your bags down. Always use a luggage rack, but make sure to inspect it first as they are hot spots for bed bugs.
- Never put your bags or belongings on the floor in hotels, transportation hubs, and public places, especially those with carpets.
- Inspect your children’s bag before they bring it inside from school.
- Keep dirty clothing away from clean clothes.
- Use bed-bug covers on mattresses and box springs.
- Fold your clothing at home if you are using a laundromat.
While these prevention tips are not guaranteed to keep you and your family from carrying bed bugs inside, they are essential to use as they will significantly reduce the risk.
Professional Bed Bug Control
Keeping bed bugs out of your home can be difficult. Even with the prevention tips above, it isn’t 100% guaranteed that you won’t experience an infestation. This is, unfortunately, the nature of this pest. Although this is the case, you don’t have to feel powerless against bed bugs because ProActive Pest Services is here to help.
Our experts understand how stressful bed bugs are, so we use a product that eliminates and helps prevent bed bugs from coming back again. Not only is this product effective, but it is also safe for people and pets, so you know everyone is staying safe.
If you have bed bugs in your Cedar Hill home, contact us at ProActive Pest Services for quick and reliable services, returning your peace of mind.