What are bed bugs?
There are a variety of pests we refer to as structural pests, and that regularly live with people inside of our homes and businesses; ants, cockroaches, and mice are some of the most common. One pest that often gets overlooked as a common household pest is the bed bug.
Bed bugs are blood-feeding pests that have been around for eons and have adapted to living successfully with people. Bed bugs are reddish-brown oval-shaped insects that feed on humans and other warm-blooded animals. We are their preferred hosts, but they will also feed on the blood of dogs, cats, birds, and rodents if we aren't available.
Are bed bugs dangerous?
While bed bugs bite and feed on human blood, they don't transfer diseases as other blood-feeding pests do. Though they don't spread diseases that make us ill, they do cause people problems.
- Knowing bed bugs are in our homes will cause insomnia.
- Their presence in our homes can cause anxiety.
- Secondary infections often occur after scratching at the itchy bites whey leave behind.
Why do I have a bed bug problem?
The small size, dark color, and nocturnal nature of bed bugs enable them to infiltrate our homes and live unnoticed with people for long periods. By the time you finally notice their presence, a large infestation has likely already taken hold of your house.
Bed bugs are slow-moving insects that cannot jump or fly, but they move easily from place to place with our help. Bed bugs crawl onto our clothing, into our luggage or bags, or inside things like boxes, rugs, and upholstered furniture and travel to wherever we take them. Places people come into contact with bed bugs include:
- Hotels and motels
- Movie theaters
- Laundry mats
Where will I find bed bugs?
Many people think that the only place you will find bed bugs is inside dirty homes or businesses. But, the truth is that bed bugs can become a problem anywhere. Bed bugs move with us and take over any structure that offers them places to hide and easy access to food, both things that our Texas homes provide.
Bed bugs aren't attracted to dirt or filth, but large areas of clutter can hide an infestation. In addition to clutter, some of their other favorite hiding spots include the following:
- Behind or under upholstered furniture
- In the seams of or under mattresses and box springs
- Under rugs
- Inside drawers
- Space behind wooden trim and baseboards
- Within electrical outlets or inside electronics
How do I get rid of bed bugs?
Partner with our professionals to put into place the services needed to eliminate bed bugs from your Texas home. Our professionals will perform thorough inspections and complete effective treatments that will eliminate bed bugs.
To control bed bugs at Proactive Pest Services, we use and recommend Aprehend®. This product is a natural biopesticide used for the elimination and prevention of bed bugs. This bed bug solution works specifically on insects and is safe around both people and pets.
At Proactive Pest Services, we are committed to always going above and beyond to provide the most thorough and comprehensive pest services possible. "Protecting What's Important" is our daily mission! To learn more about removing biting bed bugs from your home through our effective pest control offerings, reach out to us today.
How can I prevent bed bugs in the future?
Take action to prevent problems with bed bugs by partnering with the professionals at Proactive Pest Services and implementing our helpful prevention tips.
- Use bed bug-proof covers on your family's mattresses and box springs.
- If you live in an apartment, townhouse, or other structure with shared walls, seal cracks in walls, ceilings, and behind baseboards to help prevent bed bugs from moving from your neighbors home into your home.
- Take care when using laundry mats. Immediately remove your clothing when it is done from dryers and washers, take home your laundry to fold.
- Always take the time to inspect and thoroughly clean secondhand items like upholstered furniture before bringing them into your house.
- Be observant and at the first signs of bed bugs in your home, call Proactive Pest Services for immediate help.